At our office, adoptions and minor GUARDIANSHIPS is all we do.
I understand the importance of helping you find legal stability and security, so that you can concentrate on caring for your family members instead of worrying about legal formalities.
I have close working relationships with the people and agencies involved in making decisions about adoption. Also, I have been a resident of Alaska since the age of 4, and I’m deeply familiar with the people and all the different cultures of Alaska.
- Lisa B. Nelson has been helping parents and children form new families since 2005.
- Graduated from West Anchorage High School
- Worked in criminal prosecution as an Assistant District Attorney and Assistant Attorney General for six (6) years.
- Worked as an Assistant Attorney General for fourteen (14) years representing the Office of Children’s Services (OCS) in child protection cases and representing the Division of Juvenile Justice (DJJ) in juvenile delinquency prosecutions.
- Worked as Supervisor of the Human Services Section of the Attorney General’s Office for six (6) years – overseeing mostly child protection case prosecutions and working with the Alaska Legislature to improve the laws in this area and to obtain more funding for child protection.
- Went into private practice in 2005 as a sole practitioner, concentration on adoptions, elder guardianships, minor guardianships, contested matters involving OCS, ect.
- Now concentrates on adoptions only — OCS adoptions, ICWA adoptions, private adoptions, step-parent adoptions, international re-adoptions and adult adoptions.
As a mother Myself, I knows the importance of family relationships, and the importance of stability and belonging to a child.
I am the recipient of several awards and national commendations for my work, and bring professionalism and dedication to a job that requires not just legal knowledge, but the willingness to go the extra mile. This includes doing what is necessary to secure consent for adoptions from birth parents and understanding the special considerations required for adoptions by same-sex couples, single parents, military families and parents adopting children internationally.
I am a member of the Alaska Bar and the Anchorage Bar Association.
In my spare time, I am a member of Central Lutheran Church, the Sons of Norway, and engage in many athletic activities.
Call me at 907-771-8300 or contact me online if you wish to adopt a child or become the guardian of a child.
My office is conveniently located downtown right next to the courthouse.